Tuesday, May 26, 2015


Has anyone read this book? I was drawn to it by its cover and lovely introduction but find its contents confusing! I thought it would be great inspiration as a knitting anthology but find the various authors mention that they either don't know how to knit, dislike, or flat out hate the process. As one of the featured writers, Samantha Chang, gifts her mother a handmade sweater, and appreciates her  mother's "pride in the fact that I would go through such hell for her".

Sometimes the author's distaste for knitting appears through thinly-veiled sexist comments, as found in the third story in the collection, by Andre Dubus III, as the narrator describes watching his girlfriend knit, "She looked like some young wife and mother from a hundred years ago; she looked to me like a woman who relied on her man to take care of everything". Now now...

Does anyone have any backstory or explanation that would help me appreciate this book I thought was for those who appreciate knitting? Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment